Main Forum
Page
of 2

Awakening Translations

15 replies
A little while back during a conversation about Tamer lore, I put together my translation of the story that had been published along with the Tamer Awakening hoping to get some insight as to what may be going on there. That and machine translations just choke horribly on Korean. In any case, after poking around on the Korean Black Desert site a bit more I pulled down the stories for several of the other classes, and since I'm apparently crazy, have been slowly working on translating them as well.

Now while I have studied Korean for a good while now, it's obviously not my first language, and I am not a professional translator. This is more of a hobby for me, so I'm going to be rather slow, and I just plan on posting them as I finish them up. Also, I make no guarantees that this is without any mistakes. That said, these are a bit more understandable than what machine translations put out, and at the very least are an interesting way to spark some conversation.

As I mentioned in the original Tamer translation, I've take some liberties with the sentence structure here and there to help the English just work. Korean likes having long convoluted run on sentences which really don't translate well at all, so I regularly break those up. In addition, all proper names may be horribly misspelled, as in many cases they are transliterations, and so don't have things set in stone. If an example of a proper name exists in game I will try to match that. In all cases I'll also provide my working notes, so if anyone is curious or wants to make a correction, please feel free to let me know.

And of course I should mention that none of this is "canon" in our version of the game yet and since it's associated with the Awakening weapons it could be considered a spoiler. You have been warned. ;)

Table of Contents

Posted Apr 7, 16 · OP · Last edited Apr 15, 16 by Jariana
List
Undo

“Princess of a Ruined Kingdom, thirst for the strength of your belief.”

At the far ends of the East, on an island known as Haemoseom, where human feet have not trod and the beasts of prey coil, a woman clutching a newborn babe to her breast is found.

Suffering from a severe wound, the woman eventually passes on. But by chance the baby is found by a beast who was passing nearby. At first, the beast was just curious about this creature it had never seen before. However, as time passed and the pure and innocent mind of the child endeared itself with the beast, and it came to raise her as one of it’s own pups.

Through the years the baby grew into a young girl, and she eventually found the monk of Haemoseom, Huisa, along with Heilang. The monk had sought a successor and failed, and retired to Haemoseom to rest. He marveled at seeing a girl who lived among the beasts without ire, and took her on as a disciple. Since the girl had lived with beasts from infancy, she showed no fear of Heilang’s fierce appearance and lived with her like a close friend.

The girl, obviously not being a beast, grew more and more as a human under the tutelage of Huisa, and she began to wonder who she was and where she came from. However, there was obviously no one who knew about her past. She had only one lead, the woman who had carried her as an infant to Haemoseom. So the girl, unbeknownst to her teacher, left and stepped into the world of humanity.

After some years, the girl was able to find out about her past. However, that discovery was not a joyous one. Some time ago, a civil war had swirled about her. By its end, the losing half of the royal family had been massacred. But, one of the queen’s handmaidens had managed to escape from the palace with the newborn youngest princess. She was able to avoid her pursuers long enough to bring the princess to the forbidden Haemoseom.

After learning this, the girl returned to Haemoseom. However as she approached home, she found the place stank of blood. As she had journeyed the land to uncover her identity, the authorities had learned of her existence and had sought to end her. The girl was saddened by Teacher Huisa’s death, and while she mourned she also realized that she could not stay. So, she decided to leave for a far off place. However, before starting her journey she left her most precious possession, “Heaven’s Staff”, at Huisa’s tomb.

As she escaped into the foothills, a dark and stormy shadow revealed itself to the girl. It was the last living cub of of the now dead Heilang. The cub was weak, however the girl thought it better to take it along rather than to endure the journey alone. So she took the baby Heilang as she ventured out on the road to the West.

The trip to the west did not go smoothly. Though she was far from the history of her family and the death of her teacher, she again stumbled into the black aura that had swirled around that civil war. After overcoming death the girl eventually recalled the words that Huisa had given her as a child:

“Keeper of Heilang, follow the strength that shakes the heavens.”

Just a couple of things I thought interesting.
  • At least for this story, the Tamer is a girl/young woman, not an adult. Throughout she is called 소녀 (literally small woman or small female) which is a title that not used for an adult woman. This seems to fit with the best translation of the Korean name for the class 금수랑 that I could come up with. 금수: Fauna or Beast, 랑: youth or young person. That said 랑 has about a billion possible meanings so I obviously could have missed something there.
  • Our Heilang is known as 흑랑 (Heunglang) in Korean which translates just as Black Wolf.
  • The character of Huisa or Hui is an interesting one. They are called a 신선 which was difficult to translate into English (especially since its more modern meaning is "fresh".) It seems to refer to a supernatural being of some sort. I saw references of monks who had given up the world to become more and Daoist immortals as well when trying to sort it out. Regardless, it seems that Huisa did take the Tamer on as a disciple, which probably explains why she isn't quite as wild as she could be.
  • I translated 하늘봉 as 'Heaven's Staff' (though "Staff of the Heavens" may be more poetically appropriate) at least partially because we know the Tamer Awakening weapon to be a staff. Luckily there are references to 봉 meaning staff in some other places as well, so it seems to make sense.

Working notes here.

Original source here.
Posted Apr 7, 16 · OP · Last edited Apr 7, 16 by Jariana
List
Undo

“The last gift of the Departed Goddess, the Elemental Blade”

This legend begins before recorded history, in the era of creation among the highest boughs of the sacred tree, Kamasilve. There, the Goddess Sylvia descended along with the free elemental spirits, and in her wake the sun and moon received their light and all life was brought into being.

And the land beneath the sacred tree came to be known as ‘Kamasilvia’.

In this place, the Goddess gave birth to twins. One child resembled the light of the sun and was named Kanelle. The other took after the darkness of the moon and was named Bedir. After raising her children for a time, one day the Goddess left, returning to heaven. But not before imbuing the sacred tree Kamasilve with her divine will. In addition, her children were charged with the protection of the sacred tree, the elemental spirits, and to raise a prosperous civilization.

As the descendants of Sylvia grew they came to rely on the abundant power of Kamasilve. So much so they became idle and lazy, carried away in the seemingly unlimited energy of the sacred tree. Those idle times were not to last though, as one day the elemental spirits of darkness, who had long been envious of the power of the sacred tree, seized the land of Kamasilvia.

The resulting war was devastating.

The now idle and lazy descendants of Sylvia had so relied on the strength of Kamasilve they had no power of their own to defend their home. As such they were driven back to the sacred place where it was said that the Goddess would come again to Kamasilve. Calling even further on the strength of the sacred tree, the spirits of darkness were eventually driven back by the descendants. However, Kamasilve’s might had been spent in the effort, so it gave its oldest branch to Kanelle and Bedir before falling into a deep slumber.

Kanelle and Bedir took this gift and began to research ways to harness it. After much effort and time they came upon a method of taking the strength of the elemental spirits and reforming the branch into a sword known as the Elemental Blade. Taking this knowledge they shared it among the remnant of their people, teaching them how to use the power of branches of the sacred tree in the same way. Overtime, this brought about the creation of the ‘Rangers’, a standing army to defend Kamasilvia against invasion.

Even with the creation of the Rangers, there were those who would attack the descendants of Sylvia, attempting to take the remaining power of sleeping sacred tree. So, in order to form a more effective defense against these attacks, they developed archery and continued their research into the creation of the Elemental Blades.

It was about this time that Kanelle and Boedir came into conflict over the use of the blades.

The descendant of the Sun, Kanelle, sought to live in harmony with the elements. However, the descendant of the Moon, Boedir, wanted to force the spirits to obey, dominating them, and pulling their power from them. The two’s conflict rapidly brought the Rangers to a civil war. Yet again, the blood of the descendants of the Goddess stained her sacred land, waking the holy tree Kamasilvie from it’s slumber.

Kamasilvie, which had been enchanted by the will of the Goddess, gathered the power of its branches, causing the descendants to lay down their own strength and feel sorrow for the source of their conflict. In the wake of this Kanelle’s followers remained in Kamasilvia, protecting the temple that had been established above the holy tree. In contrast, Boedir’s followers ventured into the outside world, seeking a new source of power. The two groups of descendants were completely divided.

The holy tree Kamasilvie, to prevent yet another fratricidal war and prepare against the looming threat of the forces of darkness, only gave its strength to the chosen descendants of the Goddess. Only Rangers who combine martial excellence and the ability to overcome rigorous mental trials were to be given the departed Mother’s final gift.

Then, after imparting its will to the descendants, Kamasilvie again slipped into a deep slumber.

“The one who lives in harmony with the elements and has controlled oneself will be given the complete power of Kamasilvie.”

• The Elves seem to love reusing a set of similar names. Their goddess is Sylvia or possibly Silvia (if that is already in game please let me know and I'll update it) the tree is Kamasilvie, and their homeland is Kamasilvia. I've seen other sites translate both the homeland and the tree as Kamasilvie, and while they do seem to be distinct here, that may be something that Daum is doing in the western version.
  • I am completely uncertain about the spelling of Kanelle and Boedir, that was just my best guess.
  • The term 'sacred tree' is scattered throughout the story, and is a particular word 신단수. Trying to look it up, I found it's used in Korean folklore here and there.
  • The term for elements here is 정령, which seems to translate as both spirits or souls and elements. I'm not entirely certain which way they are leaning, however as I've seen the weapon translated as Elemental Blade in some other places, I went that route.
  • There are a couple of very awkward sentences here (especially the last one) which I'm working on cleaning up.

Working notes here.

Original source here.
Posted Apr 7, 16 · OP · Last edited Apr 7, 16 by Jariana
List
Undo
And now to disappear into my corner for a bit and work on the next one. :)
Posted Apr 7, 16 · OP
Updated the original post a bit since Maevynn pointed out where I had some odd name spellings.
Posted Apr 7, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Fantastic reads Jari, keep up the awesome work! What a pleasant surprise to see you here and working on this project. :)
3585722.jpg
Teldarion - Character Profile
Tariq Nasir - Character Profile
Posted Apr 7, 16
List
Undo
Thanks for all the hard work, this is great! Though, sad news for people who RP Tamers. :(
Posted Apr 7, 16
Why sad news?
Jitter || Azalea Ranch - The best horses you'll find ||
Posted Apr 7, 16
Based off of this story, (Unless it is referencing a legend/old hero) it seems that there is only one Tamer, and one (remaining) black-wolf in the world of BDO. Which means, Tamers would not be able to use their summon ICly, as it wouldn't make sense. It would take a lot away from RPing as one, in my opinion, as they would be the only class unable to use their power in RP.
Posted Apr 8, 16 · Last edited Apr 8, 16 by Ajirainaki...
There was actually a bit of a conversation about that in the original Tamer thread I translated that for here. So while yes you can take it to be a single Tamer, it would also make sense for the princess in the story to be the genesis for the Tamers in general as well. From what I've seen of the other Awakening stories, they are not about the character but rather a history of their profession, order, etc. So it's not a big leap to see this as a legend of some sort rather than the story of our Tamer.

Admittedly it's not directly spelled out one way or another from what I've seen, but I would say the room to play with it is there.
Posted Apr 8, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices