Main Forum

[NA] Journal of a Hunted Elf

4 replies
OOC Note: I thought I had been posting these to BDO RP but I guess I had not. I'll correct that mistake now.

Running

Meronar’s breath was ragged. She had been running and climbing, running and climbing, endlessly now. Yet the voices behind her were still within earshot.

She heard a distant voice. “Here! Sign! Up this ravine!” Then another voice. “Keep your bows at the ready! Do not let the Ahib abomination escape!”

She turned and climbed the rocks to the next waterfall then began running down further uphill along the stream but the voices didn’t fade. They still pursued her.

Ahead the ravine began to widen into a large mountain meadow. She continued running, glancing back as an arrow thunked into the dirt near her. While the Ganelle hunters were still distant, she was within range of their bows. She ran.

Turning right and up a short slope cut her off from the line of sight of the archers behind her and less than a hundred meters later she was looking at a long slope of loose rock going downwards. She began running, leaping, and sliding down the slope as fast as she could hoping to widen the distance between herself and her pursuers.

A few hundred meters further down the slope and she hit a dirt road that appeared to follow the mountain face southeastward. Another arrow thunked into the dirt near her, from atop the slope above her. She broke into a dead run, again.

The angle of the mountain cut off the archers from line of sight but a few more arrows struck into the dirt not far from her. They were guessing now but did not seem to be following. She continued running along the mountain through meadows, even as the dirt road turned away into the forest.

Turning and looking back, then up hundreds of feet at the mountain top above, she saw no further signs of pursuit, yet she continued running. In the distance she saw this huge figure of a one eyed looking man, a veritable giant, but he seemed to not notice Meronar.

And then suddenly she was near a small lake, amid a group of otters who were talking to her.

One otter who stood fishing near the lake asked, “Lost are we?”

She looked around. “Where am I?”

The otter gave what she thought was a grin, nodded its head, then said, “Yes, lost you are. This is Crioville. It’s our town. But you human folk will want to go to Trent, or maybe Behr, or maybe even Calpheon.”

Meronar’s eyes widened at a name she recognized. “Calpheon? The human city?” She looked all around herself then back at the otter. “I am in the territory of Calpheon?”

The otter nodded. “You wish to go to Calpheon?”

Meronar nodded back. “Yes, but…” She hesitated, then spit it out. “Can I avoid the Longleaf sentry outposts? I don’t get along very well with them.”

The otter nodded yet again. “Oh, that’s fine! Not everyone does, you know? Here, let me tell you how to reach Behr, then the road north from there will take you to Calpheon.”

Meronar listened attentively, then began briskly walking in the direction that the otter had pointed. On the other side of the lake, she looked back at the rising mountains to the south. She thought to herself, “I’ve escaped you for now, haven’t I?”

She turned northward once again, entering a land she had heard about, even been taught bits and pieces about, but had never before seen. A land where, if her mother had been right, she might even find cousins.
3995373.jpg
Posted May 31, 18 · OP · Last edited May 31, 18
List
Undo
Another Lead

The stranger, Gavad, had hinted and teased at helping her find solutions to her father’s journal, but not one substantive clue did he offer. He held his cards as close to the vest as Meronar did, or so it seemed.

Mouse sat in the back of the Golden Toad inn, a place she often preferred to escape the inquisitive others in Heidel. Most of those at the Toad seemed to be trying to curry favor from the Calpheon lady and her giant thug, and that suited Mouse just fine, whereas the people at the Lily were often three sheets to the wind and desperate to get your attention as well.

This stranger she’d just met, however, was an enigma of sorts. He possessed a growing Kamasilve tree, no small feat to acquire, and that hinted at resources, at the very least. Either that, or he was just one tremendously lucky thief who was trying to parlay that luck into something bigger.

She sipped her wine thoughtfully. Yes, just signing on for mercenary work for now was the safest bet, but she could inquire discretely about this fellow, his possible connections and resources, and where that might lead. If he really had the resources to assist her, perhaps she might stomach working directly for him, though her past experiences with that sort were not things she sought to repeat.

She turned her thoughts to others she had met along her journeys. She wondered where many of them were now. Her life had become one of impermanence, of shifting shadows, of temporary alliances, but not of real friendships. But there was little she could do about that. The small cult of extremists in the Grana priesthood wanted her dead, and probably for good reason, at least as they saw it.

She mused over the same question once again - what had her father done to her, and how? How was she, a descendant of a Ganelle mother, touched by dark energy and thus in need of a Vediant to control it? So many questions, and even now, years later, that blasted journal held fast to its secrets.

She finished her wine, stood and strove out of the tavern. There was no point dwelling on that again. She looked upward. It would rain this night, and she would seek shelter at the home of her cousins.
3995373.jpg
Posted May 31, 18 · OP
List
Undo
A Face Remembered

The man’s face had jumped out at her. He and Saerenne had been the only two at The Noble Elephant when Meronar walked in. She even asked him if they had met, but he said they had not. Yet there was a lurking memory of him in her mind. His name was Lesands, he said.

She had introduced herself as Mouse, as was her custom with humans. The nickname had been accepted, as was typical. It seemed that humans were fond of their nicknames. Her mind flashed back to the wizard who had bestowed that moniker upon her long ago and she simply smiled. The old man might have been able to help her, or so she thought, but then she never encountered him again. Odd.

Meronar wasn’t sure if she’d interrupted anything between Saerenne and Lesands but they didn’t protest. They discussed Nerinne briefly, with Meronar confiding in them that Nerinne was different in a way that reminded Meronar of a Ganelle saint. Neither Saerenne nor Lesands seemed surprised by this, but they didn’t seem to register just how unusual Meronar found this to be either. Perhaps that was because humans didn’t sense interactions with elemental spirits in quite the same way as elves did. Whatever the reason, conversation drifted away from Nerinne, thankfully.

Lesand seemed rather curious about Meronar though, and she did her best to politely blunt that curiosity. But perhaps she had said too much. Saerenne seemed to only follow his lead, giving up on that line of questioning when he did.

Meronar sat at one of the outdoor tables just outside the little cafe in the market district as the sun rose. She glanced down at the journal. No, neither Saerenne nor Lesands would be of assistance to her with this. Nice people. Perhaps they might lead to work or even to another contact. But neither seemed likely to have the specific contacts to deal with this or to even understand what it might mean to her. They seemed kind enough but of little use in her primary search.

No, she would have to simply continue looking on her own. She finished her fresh fruit, her oatmeal, and her tea then rose to depart. It behooved you to be cautious in Calpheon when seeking mages and alchemists, yet seek she must. She looked around warily, scanning both for those who might hunt her and the human zealots of Elion. Seeing nothing suspicious, she strode off towards the noble quarter.
3995373.jpg
Posted May 31, 18 · OP
List
Undo
A Mistake?

“Why did you do that?” Her mind raced back to that question over and over again. “People aren’t to be trusted,” she muttered to herself.

And if had done no good anyway. Saerenne seemed like a nice person but, like so many, she couldn’t get past whatever spell blurred the letters of the journal. As was all too common, the symbols had danced before her eyes.

“What was I thinking?” Meronar’s mind continued to race. “I wanted to trust someone, finally.” The voice within countered, “Every time you trust someone, someone gets hurt, or killed.”

She flexed the vediant, focusing hard, silencing that voice. “Shut up!” She looked up abruptly, realizing she had spoken aloud, but she was alone. There were no others here on this stretch of wooded riverbank, in the dark of the evening.

Perhaps Saerenne would simply do nothing with the information Meronar had given her. She obviously didn’t fully understand what Mouse had said. Perhaps she’d keep it to herself? That was, perhaps, the best outcome she could think of.

And the worst? That Saerenne might discuss it casually, within earshot of someone hunting for Meronar, someone who would want more details, who might do whatever they felt necessary to get those details.

She lay back against the long grasses of the riverbank and stared at the stars. “You’ve endangered someone, for no good reason at all.”

She whispered softly into the night air, “You cannot trust anyone, for your own sake and for theirs. No more weakness.”

Rising slowly, she walked to her horse, mounted, and rode into Calpheon. A brief conversation and payment to the stablemaster and her horse was ensured proper care for the evening. She then headed for the Tairisiu residence of her cousins.

From the shadows, a tall blonde elf began to follow Meronar, a heavily armed elf with a grim look on her face.
3995373.jpg
Posted Jun 1, 18 · OP · Last edited Jun 1, 18
List
Undo
A lot has happened to Meronar in game in the many months since I last wrote for her. Rather than going over it all, which I might at a future time, I instead give two stories that bring her up to the present time.

An Ending And A Beginning

A Homecoming
3995373.jpg
Posted Dec 16, 18 · OP
List
Undo
NoticeNotices