Main Forum

Brainstorming - revived. - new hubs!

7 replies
Online on Site
Hello people!

I would like to start off this thread by saying that due to the fact the former brainstorming thread has been dead, I figured it would be best to not necro it and make a new one with a proposal and I would love to hear back from the community as a whole on whether there is a need or want for this. And of course I would love to hear your ideas regarding these ideas! Of Course feel free to contribute your own ideas as well.
A discord for Noble houses :
After playing a poor knight from Serendia I’ve noticed that it is a bit difficult to find a group of people that fit within the upper / nobility class of the world within the Republic of Calpheon. Perhaps this is just due to me being terrible at finding/sourcing people, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to set up a Discord server where people that happen to play characters that fit the bill of nobility within the Republic of Calpheon can gather and set up Roleplay? The way I see it is that this HUB will have ranks for the players that indicate the house they’re in and then a separate tag for the player that shows their position within said house.
This would allow the community to more easily set up events such as tournaments/gala’s and all sorts of other things such as feuds between knights / Lords and other nobility! IC alliances being formed and the list just goes on and on. This would also permit us to set up a more organised systems that are universally agreed upon for said events and hopefully make us able to tie the stories of the noble houses together!

A semi-realism medieval RP hub.
As some of you know I've been working on setting up a hub/guild for a semi-realism Medieval RP setting within the bounds of the BDO lore and aesthetic. Now I've dropped the guild aspect and have been wondering if I should just keep it as a hub with a story behind it to draw people to who are looking for that non-magic setting where most of the characters are peasants/labourers and the like. To organize events such as markets and the like. Have a pub present and folk rping guards that enforce the laws of the fiefdom and priests running sermons in the name of Elion etc. Keep in mind that the idea will be to avoid magic in the community and try to more accurately represent the civilians in towns like Heidel and the like. Considering that I got the discord for the HUB already pretty much set up, it could be almost instantly used.

I would love to hear back from you guys and hopefully start working on a new scene for people!
Character : Sir Johathan Rosenthal
Family name : Blakenthorn
Posted Nov 26, 18 · OP · Last edited Nov 26, 18
List
Undo
Community Patron
I don't remember if I replied to the original thread or not, but I'd like to include my support for the Noble discord server. I know there are several roleplayers who have put thought and effort into creating a noble house or family for their characters, so it'd be wonderful to have an easier way to communicate and network. I'd definitely throw in my character, Luz, and House De Santis for the discord! Plus, it'd be interesting to see more interactions from these aristocratic families on political, economical, and religious issues. The Discord could also be useful for finding other players who'd like to create a character for an existing noble family.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that because of the political state of countries such as Calpheon, the meaning of nobility in BDO has altered a bit. Those families certainly exist, but I believe most are or should be struggling in terms of power and influence. This is also a subject I'd find worthy of exploring through roleplay alongside the galas and tournaments.

As for the semi-realism medieval hub, I think you just need to search for a good niche of like-minded roleplayers who share your interest in that style. BDO's world is one of magic in abundance, but there's still that gritty "realistic" touch to its setting that I think many find appealing. It'll be difficult to completely avoid magic, but events such as town/city markets and more mundane things have definitely had their success in this community before!
xT H I E FxxxP R I E S T E S SxxxH O U S ExxD ExS A N T I SxxxB L A C KxxM A R K E Tx
Posted Nov 26, 18
List
Undo
Online on Site
I don’t think you have! I had my guild page removed yesterday after I came to the conclusion that it wouldn’t be too beneficial for me to have the ‘hub’ I was working on to be a guild. Since people may want to play a character there but are already affiliated within a guild and so forth. I want to thank you though for replying to this thread! The feedback is definitely appreciated, however! I am seriously hoping to see a lot of feuding and a lot of struggling myself. It would certainly add to the immersion that the setting could provide and of course give people the ability to get in better contact with other folks that want to get out there a bit more with their characters!

Regarding the hub, I fully understand that it’ll be hard to avoid magic in a setting like BDO. In fact, I was hoping to have quite a few events regarding magical creatures ( practically every creature is magical from my understanding of the lore ) but with it taken an approach from characters that aren’t necessarily magically adept themselves. Soldiers lining up in formations with muskets and siege weapons (the latter would be difficult without a guild though, the cannon models, however, are pretty neat!). The idea would be to create an area where actions do have set consequences, soldiers and guards enforcing the local laws of the town and village, I’ve already contacted Khaedan of Greythorne to discuss possible plots regarding theft and villainry; a while back.

I’m waiting a wee bit longer before I’ll set up the Discord for nobility and the like to see if there’s more feedback people can give me however and if it is something that there’s a need (and want) for within this community!
Posted Nov 27, 18 · OP
The "military" aspect of RP is actually very well portrayed by some guilds and also by some regular events or DM's in BDO! An example: The Kallenswold Retinue!

Lots of Military and "real" stuff happening in there. Like planning, army lining up, guardsmen, patrols, army march, and so on. Maybe I'd recommend you to join them out of curiosity!

I'm myself part of the Retinue discord, and often their RP is surrounded more around -legit- castle activities and doing rather than anything magical. There is some magic involved--- but it's mostly for healers, and to which they portray the "natural" healing process even with great depth and attention! You'll only find amazing RPers in there. Big names and talented writers that to me are integrating many aspects of the real "medieval" war setting, despite the enemy being mostly undead.

The creator CanadianMan is attentive to details and his events are well prepared, real efforts are being made and done and it shows! While it might not be the Towns like village you mention? There are still lots of opportunities to be had. Training, mounting, jousting, fighting practice, canon handling, ballista even! ---there was also a ceremony once about Elionism which was nice! very immersive and in depth. You should check it out :d
Untitled_4.png
Posted Nov 28, 18 · Last edited Nov 28, 18
List
Undo
Online on Site
wrote:
The "military" aspect of RP is actually very well portrayed by some guilds and also by some regular events or DM's in BDO! An example: The Kallenswold Retinue!

Lots of Military and "real" stuff happening in there. Like planning, army lining up, guardsmen, patrols, army march, and so on. Maybe I'd recommend you to join them out of curiosity!

I'm myself part of the Retinue discord, and often their RP is surrounded more around -legit- castle activities and doing rather than anything magical. There is some magic involved--- but it's mostly for healers, and to which they portray the "natural" healing process even with great depth and attention! You'll only find amazing RPers in there. Big names and talented writers that to me are integrating many aspects of the real "medieval" war setting, despite the enemy being mostly undead.

The creator CanadianMan is attentive to details and his events are well prepared, real efforts are being made and done and it shows! While it might not be the Towns like village you mention? There are still lots of opportunities to be had. Training, mounting, jousting, fighting practice, canon handling, ballista even! ---there was also a ceremony once about Elionism which was nice! very immersive and in depth. You should check it out😀

Hey thanks for replying!

I've already taken a good look at the Retinue and what they're about and while it certainly is something that interests me, I sadly am not looking for that kind of roleplay at the moment. Perhaps in the future I could find a way to incorporate myself within the roleplay but at the moment it doesn't really set the stage for what I mostly want to focus around and stimulate. Which being roleplay for commoners and things like that! I would like to apologise that it took so long for me to reply, I am currently in the process of getting surgery done (on monday no less! D:) so that takes up a bit of my time.

noble network discord :

I'll be working on setting this up next week after I've had surgery. I'd love to get some help with this though, for the people that are interested in setting this up. Please do add me on Discord so we can figure out what's all necessary for a network like that!

My discord name :
A WIZARD NAMED - Tim#5101

EDIT : I also made a quick map of where Aschenlo would be located IC'ish. :d Red marks the spot! If there are any other player owned 'villages' and keeps that people would like to be added. hit me up!

bXb89mx.jpg
Posted Thu at 05:49 pm · OP · Last edited Thu at 19:11
List
Undo
Online on Site
Good luck with the surgery, Tim! And I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of these ideas!

Also... that's a really cool replica of the Serendian territory map! :o
T244Jid.png

Discord: Khaedan#4869
Posted Thu at 09:07 pm
List
Undo
Best of luck with the surgery <3

That map is amazing. And I'm super curious to see how this turns out- I play a lot of high magic characters so I don't have one that would fit super well of yet, but I think it would be very cool to focus on day-to-day interactions for a peasant town.
Posted Fri at 11:06 pm
List
Undo
Online on Site
wrote:
Best of luck with the surgery That map is amazing. And I'm super curious to see how this turns out- I play a lot of high magic characters so I don't have one that would fit super well of yet, but I think it would be very cool to focus on day-to-day interactions for a peasant town.

Thanks on both things! The map is made using https://inkarnate.com/landing and staring way too long at the map in game only to realise that the paths aren't a fully 100% accurate!
Posted Sat at 03:45 pm · OP
List
Undo
NoticeNotices